Friday 22 July 2011

The End of an Era

And no, I'm not talking the Harry Potter movie franchise coming to a close. I'm talking about Borders. For as long as I can remember, Borders has always been there for me. It was the best place to find odd books and, even though I never went in  that much, the clerks always stayed the same. Back in my youth, I got tragically lost from my mom and sister during my first Borders trip: Hawaiian music was blasting, the scapegoat for this traumatic time, and I heavily considered life as an orphan.  I went to Borders today because today is the day the liquidation sale begins. It was really sad: lines of eager beaver moms grabbing books for their children and "Everything Up to 40% Of" signs hanging everywhere. I was on the prowl for some nice coffee table books-yes I am a 90 year-old-woman trapped in a teen's body- I was thinking some fun fashion ones or even really good photography pieces. Since I am a poor college child,  I'm waiting until things go on sale more, but I decided to blog about it. But to not make this a completely selfish blog, here are some fashion books I think everyone should have. Go before your Borders closes...seriously...it's really sad.


Stupid internet.
  • Fashion Questionnaire: I got this book a few years ago and I love it! It's essentially just a book of Cosmo-like interviews with some of the biggest and best names in fashion: Alber Elbaz, Diane von Furstenburg, Karl Lagerfeld,  Oscar de la Renta, Nicole Miller, and Michael Kors, to name a few. My favorite part of the book is how there's a whole section where you can fill in your own answers. This part can act as a little diary/ "Look How I've Grown" section for all aspiring fashionistas. Which reminds me, I need to update mine!
  • This Little Piggy Went to Prada (By: Amy Allen): If I ever become a mother when I'm older, I think I'll start a movement that suggests all mothers read this book to their kiddies. If the title wasn't obvious, this book gives a fashion spin to some classic nursery rhymes. How funny is "there was an old woman who lived in her Choos." Or what about, in the tune of Row Your Boat, "Front row for the show, with the Harper's team, head-to-toe in Moschino, Mummy looks a dream"? Of course this book has the original rhymes in the back, just in case you want to kick it old school. Putting this on a coffee table would be adorable and super fun for all of your party guests to flip through. 
  • In Vogue: The Illustrated History of the World's Most Famous Fashion Magazine (By: Alberto Olivia): A must must have. I was really smitten with this book today. This book gives readers the creme de la creme of Chanel: historical peaks and shots from some of the most fabulous fashion photographers. The perfect way to become a fashion expert! 
  • Balenciaga and Spain (By: Hamish Bowles): Without a  doubt, Balenciaga is one of the most chic fashion companies in the world. Looking at Cristobal Balenciaga's inspirations and designs is extremely inspiring and goose-bump worthy. This book also divulges Spain's impact on Balenciaga's designs and shows some of his clientele, like Grace Kelly! And if that's not enough for you, how cool is the cover?
  • The World of Vogue: People, Places, Parties (By: Plum Skyes)If you haven't realized by now, I live for the glamour of styling. If you're like me, I'm sure you want this book so far: a handy dandy collection of some of the most fabulous parties and I'm assuming some incredible Vogue spread. Even excerpts about Truman Capote boating with some of the world's most fabulous people! Does it get any better? Not at all. In a way, this book looks like a guide to fabulousity. And if you're not like me in this situation, Tom Brady's on the cover! 

As you wonderful people go to your nearest Borders, don't be surprised if I fight you for some of these books!


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment