It's no secret that I've been obsessed with the denim-on-denim trend lately. Just yesterday, I paired this trend with a gingham shirt to create what I like to call, "Canadian Farmer." Though this trend definitely has mixed reactions among the chic elite, I'm here to give you my style rules for sporting a rampant array of denim.
- Be fearless:. Seriously. This trend is simply not for you if you don't like to stand out. Sure, some people give you weird looks; however, I doubt they're as cool as you.
- Mix up your denim colors: From colored jeans to your trusty black skinnies, there are so many different types of denim. The key to rocking this trend numerous times is to mix a bevy of different pieces together. You can pair your jean jacket and black skinnies together one day and your chambray and orange skinnies the next. It's the same trend, but two completely different looks.
- Break up monochromatic denim with a different fabric: As much as I love the trend, you should never pay homage to Britney and Justin's major denim faux pas. But what are you supposed to do if you find yourself wearing the same colored denim in one ensemble? Cry yourself to sleep? Absolutely not! Instead, add a soft sweater underneath your jean top. Crisis averted, ladies and gent.
- Invest in thought-provoking silhouettes: If your'e really smitten with this trend, expand your closet! Pick up a denim playsuit or a denim dress with amazing cutouts (see below, please).
- Finish your ensemble with stellar accessories: As with any outfit, your denim-on-denim ensemble needs some statement pieces. Incorporating spikes and skull accessories is the perfect way to toughen up your outfit. If you don't want to add a stack of bracelets or an awesome scarf, please add a colorful lip. Otherwise, you won't look stylish-- you'll just look confused.