Sunday 4 April 2010

The Bunny Hop

In the spirit of Easter, Happy Easter by the way, I figured that I should blog about something... festive. Consequently, I decided to share my thoughts about one truly scary trend: the bunny ears. Bunny ears typically belong to storybooks, voluptuous Playboy Bunnies, and the ever-so popular Easter Bunny that commercializes this holiday. They do not coincide with high fashion and innovative fashionistas. As you might have already guessed, I am not a fan of this look. Instead of edgy and chic, it looks childish and cartoonish. I can't see a way this is fashion forward: it feels wrong, like you are playing with a four- year- old's dress up clothes. What perplexes me most is how many major aspects of this industry have deemed this headpiece chic, Louis Vuitton and Topshop included. And the bunny effect continues as household names carry on this trend: Madonna, Mary Kate Olsen, and Ashley Olsen (I think this is the first time I have ever separated the two and made them their own person...improvement). I am all for avant garde creations and innovative head pieces, but don't go Peter Rabbit on me! I would list products if anyone wanted to incorporate this trend into their wardrobe but I personally think it should be stopped right now. A good alternative, however, could be a big bow: it is similar to the bunny ears, but there is no need to be hopping around and eating carrots! A bow exudes a whimsy vibe, think Alice in Wonderland. And let's be honest, wouldn't you rather be Alice instead of the White Rabbit? I think so! Yes, it is Easter, so wearing bunny ears today is fine. But tomorrow, it is officially not chic in my eyes.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment