Wednesday 28 April 2010

The Stereotype

This rant might come off as arrogant or odd but I'll try to do the best I can. Ever since I got the best gift ever for Christmas, TiVo, I've been recording everything in sight. So when I saw a cheesy made-for-TV movie starring Hilary Duff was on ABCFamily, I had to record it. Last week, I snuggled up with my boyfriend's slanket (no judging...it's comfy) and watched Beauty and the Briefcase. Although it was uberpredictable and extremely corny, I loved it. At twelve thirty in the morning, I was cheering Lane, Duff's character, on as she raced to confess her love for the guy who was always there for her (no name will be revealed...WATCH IT YOURSELF)! But there was one thing that I reeeaaaaaalllly hated in the movie: the fashion. Lane is supposed to be an aspiring journalist with a crave of all things fashionable. So in every single scene, she is decked out in extremely bright clothes with polka dots, plaid, and stripes. I know that fashion is in the eye of the beholder, but I feel like fashionistas are frequently portrayed as bimbos who don't know anything else but "the history of polka dots" (Legally Blonde. Case and point). If t you like polka dots, that's fine, but fashion is more than bright cheery colors. In my mind, Lane and Elle Woods were so similar! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Legally Blonde (ask anyone who knew me circa 2002-2003) but I hate the portrayal of a fashionista. Elle did some great work at Harvard Law school, but it would always be related to beauty and fashion. That's fine too, learn from what you know, but I just think that fashionistas are dumbed down for society and I don't get why! Because we (well I'm still aspiring, but I will include myself in this elite society for the sake of the argument) care about how we present ourselves to the world? Is that such a dumb thing to do? We're marketing ourselves! Honestly, if you open up the pages of Harper's Bazaar or Vogue, you see a bunch of great pieces but ARTICLES. WE'RE NOT READING PICTURE BOOKS. Okay I'm tired and this rant is getting a bit stupid. Fashionistas are smart. Done. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment