Wednesday 13 July 2011

The Joys of Denim

Yesterday, before planning my outfit for my bubble tea outing with my friend Hammah (or Hannah, whichever you prefer), I stood in front of my closet in search for the perfect outfit to combat the blazing Northeastern weather. Eventually, I decided on a printed Free People full skirt, a white tank, gold/pearl jewels, a black belt, and my precious black Miu Mius. But, even with all of this clothing, I still felt as if something was missing. Browsing through my wardrobe, I picked out the perfect finishing touch: a jean jacket. Throughout the day, aka when I was watching Pretty Little Liars, I saw a lot of denim.
(Photo Cred)
(Photo Cred)

(Photo Cred)
I was so happy to see so much denim in one show because I was starting to think I was the only one who still found a "cool" factor in denim vests and jackets. There's a common association between denim tops and anything cheesy:

(Photo Cred)
Well ladies and gents, I'm here to tell you that denim jackets and vest are 100% a must-have. It's actually quite easy to make a denim innovative and chic. So for your entertainment, here are my denim do and don'ts:

  • DON'T match blue denim with blue denim: Remember when my boy, Justin Timberlake, and Britney Spears wore that hideous matching denim outfit? Sorry Rachel Zoe, but not your finest styling job. Anyways, the biggest problem with this whole look is the monochromatic outfits. While same colored looks may look awesome with some fabrics, like silk or chiffon, denim is NOT one of those fabrics: it just looks cheesy. If you want to rock denim on denim, I highly suggest a light blue jean jacket with black denim; it's majorly chic and the anti-cheese. 
  • DO keep it casual: As we all know, denim is not a fabric you're ever going to dress up. So do keep it fun and casual. Alexa Chung put together an awesome look with an oversized denim blouse. Without the jean staple, this look would be rather feminine; however, Chung added a major splash, which I personally love. To re-create this look at home, a girly sundress and vintage inspired earrings would be unstoppable with a denim jacket.
  • DO up your makeup: I know that feel awkward when I dress on the casual side and a jean jacket may provoke this feeling in others. In order to get that slice of glam you crave, try a dramatic eye or a pop of red lipstick. I love Rachel Bilson's raspberry lip at 3.1 Phillip Lim's Menswear 2010 preview. So chic! 
  • DON'T over do the look: While a printed skirt or a tiny striped dress may be awesome with a denim jacket, don't overdue the accessories. In most situations, I think that a highly accessorized look with a denim outfit may be too much. If you want to incorporate truly stellar accessories,  I'd suggest a black ensemble, jean vest, and some statement pieces. 
  • DO keep it tight: You know that song, "Miss New Booty"? There's this part that goes "get it right, get it right, get it tight," which I think is very applicable to wearing denim but clearly in a different context. Denim vests and jackets should never be tight fitting for ladies, they aren't going to show off your fabulous curves. The perfect fashion antidote? Go body con! I've been warming up to the idea of wearing more fitted clothing, which I find hysterically ironic, and I think a perfect way to start is with a jean jacket. It's like the best of both worlds: the base will show off what "yo' mama gave ya," but the jean jacket will make the look more modest and fun. A dress like this from Urban would be absolutely perfect. 
  • DON'T be afraid: Confidence is always key in the world of fashion. So what if someone thinks rocking a jean jacket is a throw back to Clarissa Explains it All? They're just jealous that they aren't as fabulously chic as yourself. And for us aspiring fashionistas, we need to take some risks! Not to mention that Clarissa was pretty rad herself. 










xx

No comments:

Post a Comment