Sunday 21 August 2011

The Style Files: Your Silence in a Crowded Room, Louder than the Loudest Tune


Well if this blog post doesn't show you how random my life is, I don't know what will. One of the many perks of living in New York's suburbia is the GREAT commercials for Broadway shows. Lately, I've been overwhelmed with Spiderman: Turn off the Dark and one of the songs has been stuck in my head for weeks. So I bought it on iTunes and can't stop listening to it now. Since the music's by Bono and the Edge, you won't be listening to typical "kick-ball-change" music. So here it is:



Style-Spiration: Diane Kruger 
Diane Kruger is one of those celebrities that I love buuut know absolutely nothing about. This week, she rocked a bow-tie and that's when I knew she had to be my Style-Spiration for this Sunday Edition. I just love how she takes so many risks and never backs down from a challenging trend. She's the definition of a celebrity fashionista.
Just hiding from the stalkerazzi. If Diane Kruger wasn't wearing this, I would say this is a horrible outfit. Preppy pastel+preppy neon+hip fedora+ S&M shoes= disaster. But there's something about the way Kruger put this together. It's a very, "I don't give a s**t  (trying to keep it PG, you know)" or, "Oh I'm so busy. Let me just throw this on anything and everything I could find." Regardless of her true intentions, this look is very thrown together; however, the juxtaposition is ironic and tres chic. I just don't know how she does it and I surely do not think you should try this at home. It can get dangerous (Photo Cred).

At the 82nd Academy Awards in Chanel Haute Couture: I forget what my final verdict on this dress was at the time, but I remember that I condoned her for stepping out of the "full-skirted evening gown" trend.  I imagine this selection of this dress to go a little something like this: while most people said no because it was "too much," Diane Kruger gives the dress one look and says, "Simple, but it'll do." I love the light peach and black combination: very vintage and Parisian. While the different fabric techniques might not work on everyone, Kruger is fearless enough to make this work. Pairing this dress with minimal jewels, and an updo was a great move. I do wish, however, she had a strong lip (Photo Cred).


At the 2008 MET Ball (Alberta Ferretti):  I always get really taken a'back when people wear short dresses to the MET Ball. Where's glamourous avant garde evening gowns? In this scenario, Kruger took a risk by wearing a rather simple dress to such a lavish event. Silly Diane! While I don't love this dress for this occasion, or the shoes for that matter, there goes Ms. Kruger takin' some risks. (Photo Cred)
I've said it before and I'll say it again, fashion is all about risks! So before you take some risks, it's onto the weekly! 

THE WEEKLY! 
I'm very happy because I have a theory about why this looks were so great this week. In the summer time, so many people abandon their style. But Fall is so close so everyone's excited! 

  • Miranda Kerr frolicking around L.A (unknown designers): After you have a mild heart attack over how skinny she is, I hope you'll appreciate how easy, yet chic this look is. In my humble opinion, maxi dresses are insta-chic: you don't need much else and you instantly look rather dressy. The long sleeves and fun print of this maxi makes it low-maintenance but a successful look. I do wish, however, she had her hair up in a messy bun. Or a pony tail. Or a braid! 
  • Ginnifer Goodwin at the ABC Summer Press Release Shindig (3.1 Phillip Lim): Lookie here, my trendy friends, this is how you rock mixed fabrics: keep it all in one color. This is prime styling right here: I love the lace, combined with the silk body of the dress, and those furry sleeves. I'm going ga-ga over them. If this look was even broken up into black and white, it'd be a fail. SO KEEP IT MONOCHROMATIC! Also, if you plan on mixing fabrics, keep the rest of the look simple: minimal jewels, clean hair, and natural makeup. Go, Ginnifer, Go!
  • Kelly Rowland at an X-Factor Press Conference (Versace with Giuseppe Zanotti heels): While I really don't like Kelly Rowland- I don't really think she has any reason to be such a fashion icon and she took my girl Cheryl Cole's position on The X Factor- she honestly looks lovely. I love the lines in this outfit: the teal waves are so sick. And those booties? Fabulous. The wavy hair is totally vixen and youthful. Solid job, Kelly.
  • Julianne Moore at the  Blu-Ray release of The Big Lebowski (Jason Wu): I'm so in love with this look. Do you remember the short-lived show, Cashmere Mafia? Well, this outfit looks like it could be straight out of that show, and I like it! The silhouette is simple, allowing the oversize- yet proportionate- bow to take center stage. And here's a major fashion DO: tortoise accessoires with black. How amazing do those shoes look with this ensemble? Keeping the hair sleek is perfect for making this bow truly stand out. Gorgeous, overall.
Stay tuned for more personal style and trend posts!

xx

1 comment:

  1. Close friends contribute to our personal growth. They also contribute to our personal pleasure, making the music sound sweeter, the wine taste richer, the laughter ring louder because they are there. See the link below for more info.

    #louder
    www.mocsbar.com

    ReplyDelete