Thursday 22 September 2011

Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of

Fashion week is probably the most exciting time in my life. Too far? I don't care; it's a time to celebrate designer's artistic accomplishments and the industry in general. There were so many outstanding looks, it's so difficult for me to just pick a few fabulous collections. But I'm going to do it, dammit! To make this easier on me, and a shorter blog post for you, I'm going to have four blog posts: New York, London, Milan, and Paris. So enough of this small talk and let's hit it off with New York.




If you ask me, New York has some of the most wearable and exciting collections of the whole season. I just love the modernity and glamour of the city. Also, the clothes are nothing less than fantastic.  So here are some of my absolute favorite collections!


(Photo Cred)
To start off this rave session,  Jason Wu is going to be a legend. Mark my words,  ladies and gent:he is the next great American designer. I'm totally in love with all of his collections. Obviously, this one is no exception. The pops of color and interesting silhouettes  give this collection some edge; however, the clean lines in his finals looks are eternally beautiful. Wu has a way to make all-American fashion innovative and fashion-forward. Also, whoever makes short shorts look classic really has a knack for designing. I'm telling you guys now, he WILL be my date to the Met Ball someday. 

PRABAL GURUNG
(Photo Cred)
Gurung also makes my heart go pitter-patter. What I love most about this collection is that it truly is ready-to-wear. He  designed this collection with the typical woman in mind.  I think these clothes will look great on women of all shapes and sizes, which is so rare in fashion. Sure there are some looks that may only look good on a size 00 , but the universal feel dominates this collection . Also, this collection is never boring! He experiments with appliques, cutouts, and quirky patterns; it never seems like he's trying to hard. In my mind, all his crazy execution ideas work well with the collection. He knows how to create a successful look: when using crazy fashion elements, he keeps the silhouette simple. He's never overbearing as a designer, which is so refreshing!

(Photo Cred)
I really love when designers don't create a collection of cohesive prints and silhouettes; instead, they make a uniform for a certain kind of woman. And that's exactly with Lam did for this most recent collection . Who is the "Derek Lam" girl, you may ask? She's a powerful broad who craves an unstated kind of glamour. She's a modern chick who love clean lines. She has enough confidence to wear almost anything. She loves a piece that has an innate charm. Oh, and she can also pick a fabulous dress. Doesn't this "Derek Lam" girl I made up seem really cool? This collection has some incredible separates and I really think we'll see a lot of these pieces at press releases and premieres. 

(Photo Cred)
I'm obsessed with this collection for one reason and one reason only: its focus on youthful fashionistas. You can just tell by the use of youthful silhouettes and short shorts that this collection is geared towards the new generation of fashionistas. All of the looks in this collection appeal to me: finally, I don't have to sacrifice my age to wear fashion forward clothes. HOORAY!  In addition, the designs are well executed and the looks can be dressed up or down. I've mentally styled my friends in this collection...awkward?

PROENZA SCHOULER
(Photo Cred)
Something I truly admire about this collection is how it has both masculine and feminine components, thus making this a wearable and universally loved collection. Some silhouettes are androgynous, while others are the epitome of femininity. As an aspiring fashionista, I truly think it's an everyday struggle- yes, there are trials and tribulations- to be feminine without being too girly as well as being edgy without looking like  boy. Through Proenza Schouler's silhouettes, mix of fabrics, and patterns, we get  a happy medium. On a side note, I completely love the retro prints of this collection.


CHRISTIAN SIRIANO
(Photo Cred)
Ever since his days on Project Runway, I've always felt inspired by Siriano's vision. Spring/Summer 2012 is no exception. He ceases to amaze me with his concepts and I love witnessing his growth as a designer. I love how he really focused on the "pops of color" idea in this latest collection. And, in true Siriano fashion, it's not boring. He uses interesting textures, feathers, and adds intricate details to tailored pieces in order to show his originality. I always know that I can rely on his collection to give something truly dramatic and outstanding. And his evening gowns are pretty crazy!

ZAC POSEN
(Photo Cred)
His dresses in this collection are literally breathtaking. I'm such a dress kind of girl so I really love how this collection is 100% skirts and dresses. Posen knows that women always love this kind of old school glamour; however, he adds some interesting silhouettes to make this collection more relevant. All of these looks are absolutely fabulous. 

(Photo Cred)

Here's a riddle: who can make a collection that's completely wearable, feminine, and modern at the same time? Wes Gordon can. This collection has some truly incredible separates that can be worn for any occasion. In contrast to Posen's collection, I love how laid back this collection is. It's quirky in its own way; however, I feel as if the coolest chick at the party would wear any of these looks. Fabulous!


DIANE VON FURSTENBERG 
(Photo Cred)
I think all I need to say can be summed up to a simple sentence: Diane von Furstenburg is the Queen of Fashion. This season is very into loose silhouettes, which Diane obviously incorporated. Each look, however, is undeniably fashion forward and feminine, thus holding true to Diane's  design philosophy. LOVE LOVE LOVE!  To quote the band, The Police, every little thing she does is magic. But really...it is.

Stay tuned for more!

PS: Wanna hear about NYFW's beauty? Check out my latest Her Campus blog post

xx


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment