Sunday 18 March 2012

The Style Files: Come and Take a Walk on the Wild Side

I may be a little behind, but I cannot get enough of this song. Lana Del Rey's "Born to Die" just makes me want to roll on a furry carpet and drown my thoughts in a bottle of wine. Weird? Get used to it.


Style Spiration: Jennifer Lawrence 
For me, this week was all about The Hunger Games. In true "me" form, I devoured the book just before the movie adaptation hits theaters this Friday. Needless to say, I'm extremely excited. Not to mention that the movie's superstar, Jennifer Lawrence has WOWED us at each Hunger Games premiere (more on that later). It really made me think about Jennifer Lawrence as a fashionista: this girl has ability to impress us at every single event. The girl on fire is literally on fire right now!

At the 2011 Academy Awards (Calvin Klein Collection): Though I'm not crazy for minimalism, Lawrence takes this simple dress and gives it a sultry twist. From the minimal jewels to the Farah-inspired hair, Lawrence makes this dress sexy and forces us to focus on how well her bod looks in this dress. But not in a creepy, slutty way.(Photo Cred)
At the 2011 Spirit Awards (Dolce and Gabbana): I'm obsessed with how ethereal this whole look is. The dainty lace works perfectly with her relaxed waves and that soft, pink lip. The Lorraine Schwartz bracelets not only give this look a pop of color, they also give a sense of personal style. And personal style is always in trend. (Photo Cred)
At the 2012 People's Choice Awards (Viktor & Rolf): Though I understand why some people may not love this dress, I'm obsessed with how the whimsical waves work the the mesh background. Since this dress is an artistic piece, minimal jewels and simple, black shoes are the perfect way to accessorize this outfit. The sleek ponytail and fierce eye makeup gives this look a hint of fashion forwardness.(Photo Cred)
The Weekly
  • Jennifer Lawrence at The Hunger Games LA Premiere (Prabal Gurung): One of my all-time favorite looks, hands down. I love how the glamourous gold is juxtaposed with the sexy cutouts of this dress. The Jimmy Choo heels work really well with the geometric cutouts. I love when people pair an ultra light lip with a bold,sexy eye: to die for! The braided hair gives this look an unexpected  punch of natural femininity.
  • Charlize Theron at the Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists party (Boy by Band of Outsiders): Although I usually associate Band of Outsiders with younger starlets and fashion fanatics, I love how this pleated dress looks on Theron. The deep V and pleats make this dress more exciting than your average LBD. Thankfully, the strappy sandals rationalize the lack of jewels. The sporty ponytail makes this look refreshing.
  • Jennifer Lawrence at the The Hunger Games Paris Premiere (Tom Ford): As you can see, the Jennifer Lawrence girl crush continues. She successfully pulls off a backless dress: the gapping around her back is flattering, but it doesn't look ill-fitted. I love how the gold piping of the dress matches her gold sandals. Fashion forward, yet cohesive. The sleek, straight hair plus a red lip? No words. 
  • Miranda Kerr in Manhattan (Marni, Nobody jeans, Louis Vuitton, Tabitha Simmons): As much as I love red carpet glamour, I'm such a sucker for unique street style. The mostly black ensemble makes the Marni coat and Louis Vutitton work together  to create a feminine dose of edge, not compete against each other. For a model "off duty" vibe, Kerr keeps her hair super straight and adds a casual pair of aviators.
  • Michelle Williams promoting My Week with Marilyn in Tokyo (Alexander McQueen): Yes, this look is rather plain; however, it's Williams' aesthetic. The draping and silhouette of this white dress is angelic and the bold lip give us a much needed dose of glamour. Although it's understated, I kind of like it: the simplicity of this look allows Williams' true beauty to shine through. You must admit that she's channeling her inner Marilyn.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment