Tuesday 20 March 2012

Trendologist-Approved Color Blocking

Since what now seems like the beginning of time, everyone's color blocking. It's gotten to the point that color blocking is expected. In fact, it's as if color blocking is the norm. In my humble fashion opinion, you never want to dress the norm. Where's the fun in that? However, yesterday I couldn't help myself: I wanted to color block. I tried to style my outfit so it would have that ever-so lovely pop of color, but I just couldn't leave my room in something that wasn't obnoxiously colorful. During my dressing catastrophe, I developed a new way to color block. In my mind, this new take on color blocking allows you to stay on trend but breaking away from the norm.

It all started with my love for the mint trend. For months, I've just want a mint piece to call my own. Enter Hudson's mint skinnies. They're so comfortable and make me really giddy. To give the color blocking trend a fun twist, I added this  striped shirt from Topshop. The bright orange and white stripes provide an alternative, flirty way to rock the color blocking trend.
Okay, I know this outfit may seem like something out of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but I swear it's not. The sheer component plus the open black flap equals major sex appeal. Because color blocking is so sexy to begin with. 
Isn't this color combination to die for?

By now, you should know that I'm a sucker for detail. Wise words from yours truly: no details equals a waste of an outfit. If I was going to be on this color blocking splurge, I needed to spice this outfit up somehow. That's where my studded flats from Topshop come in. The nude background allows the focus to be on the bright colors; however, the spikes gives that unexpected- but really necessary- edginess.


Whether you want to play with textures and prints or add a dash of metallic, start of this spring the right way by experimenting with color blocking.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment