Sunday 29 April 2012

Style Files: I'm a Witch and a Gremlin, You're at Home Watching Snick and Night

Last weekend, I had the absolute pleasure of seeing Fun with one of my friends. Their opening band, Miniature Tigers? Indie, well-dressed, and mildly poppy. I'm addicted. After you listen to "Boomerang," I think you'll understand why I just can't get enough of them.


The Style Files: Cheryl Cole
 I haven't wrote about my love for Cheryl Cole since the wee beginning of The Trendologist (wow, I'm getting old). I really do believe that Cheryl Cole is my celebrity equivalent. I know- bold statement, but I'm comfortable with saying it. Although she hasn't always been a fashion maven, I admire how her style has evolved into something truly remarkable.
Cole sported this J.Mendel dress at the  X Factor Finale.  While the trumpeted skirt and cris-cross necklace are reminiscent of a 1950's prom queen, the juicy red and futuristic sheen give this dress a healthy does of surrealism. The proper updo and blinged-out earrings bring this look back to its feminine aesthetic. (Photo Cred)
Favorite Cheryl Cole look, hands down. Her hair is sophisticated and sultry while the cutouts and high slit are siren-worthy.The crisp white, especially with the lace shoes, add an unexpected dose of femininity. I love this juxtaposition because it shows us that you don't have to O.D. on sultry style to be considered sexy. It's the little things that really matter.  (Photo Cred)

Cole channeled her inner glamor vixen with this Stella McCartney column dress at the 2011 Brit Awards. Sequin column dresses are so hard to pull off because, let's be honest, sequins are fun and  unforgiving. However,  the styling turned this dress from something potentially tragic into a homerun look: the semi-sheer sleeves give this  dress more dimension while the chic updo forces us to focus on Cole's tiny frame. The gold bag is genius- it blends into the look but doesn't compete with the dress. Her dramatic eyeliner ties this whole look together.(Photo Cred)
Cheryl Cole would make me love polka dotas. I always think of polka dots as a pattern that my Barbie dolls totally rocked.  However, Cole make it desirable. How? She just does! Between the oversized bow and the perky ponytail, this ensemble reeks of 1960's Britain (I guess I shouldn't say 'reeks' because I do love 1960's Britain).The contrasting polka shoes liberate the dress from all its girlish undertones and gives it a dash of Editorial. Fantastic. (Photo Cred)

The Weekly
Spring brings out the polished lady in all of us! 
  • Catherine Middleton at the London premiere of African Cats (Matthew Williamson): Leave it to this British duo to create an elegant look to lust over.The stone detailing on the sleeves and neck of this dress gives this traditional silhouette a contemporary twist. The dark grey pumps and clutch stay true to the dress' traditional roots. How regal?
  • Camilla Belle at the Tribeca Film Festival (Chanel): Between the poppy floral print, the fierce eye makeup, and the silver bangle, Belle makes ladylike refreshing and (dare I say it? Oh, I will) enviable. The navy Rupert Sanderson shoes matches the dress' flower buds perfectly. However, the bright white and semi-sheer sleeves steers this look down a youthful path. 
  • Coco Rocha at Cipriani Wall Street (Jason Wu): I would like to thank Coco Rocha's stylist for joining two fashion powerhouses- Rocha and Jason Wu, obviously- togehter. As many people know, I'm obsessed with all things Wu. Between her lace-up booties and smoldering, supermodel look, Rocha gives the candy color skirt and flirty peplum a hardcore twist. Just so amazing.

xx

1 comment: