Sunday 1 April 2012

The Style Files: Young and Bright, But Now Just a Dim Light Off in the Distance

My love for "Call Me Maybe" prohibited me from discussing The Shins' new album, Point of Morrow, last week.  I'm having a major Shins moment lately and this album only fueled my obsession even more. Their song "For a Fool" reminds me of the typical "regret song" in a movie. You know when the two lovers had a big fight so one of them is arbitrarily on a train and that sad song plays as he or she looks out the window? Yeah, that regret song. Obviously, I'm not in some regret complex so this song is purely relaxing for me.




Style Files: Solange Knowles
Call to action: let's stop thinking of Solange as merely the Queen (Beyonce, obviously)'s sister. She- and her fantastic personal style- is her own entity. She is so creative and fearless when it comes to fashion and I admire that!  

So this is a little reminiscent of Beyonce's "Party" music video (sorry, I had to) ; however, I love all the risks she's taking. Since they have a similar color palette, the skirt and crop top act as a neutral to the bright pink lip. The flared silhouette of each gives this look a whimsical feel, which is furthered by the crazy sun glasses. It's fun, it's youthful, it's quirky, it's Solange.  I love it.(Photo Cred)
I don't necessarily love this look- the tank cardigan duo is a little primitive for me. However, I love how she pays close attention to detail. The multi-finger rings and the lightning bolt on her skirt gives this look a cohesive dash of boldness.(Photo Cred)
To some people, this look may be a little much. In my eyes, this ensemble is super fun and I'm a little jealous that she can rock this so effortlessly. This outfit proves that Solange is ahead of her time, fashion-wise. Can we take a second to remember that ab-flaunting tops and bright lips are totally in this spring. I also love how she plays with color: so refreshing and chic. (Photo Cred)
The Weekly
  • Ashley Greene at Macy's (DKNY): If you know anything about my taste by now, it's that I love a good blend of textures. For that reason, I love what Ashley Greene wore to her Macy's excursion. The skirt and shirt are in a similar color family; however, the leather and ruffle combination gives this look a chic juxtaposition of edgy and girly. The leather pumps perfectly match her skirt, giving this outfit precision. Clean, smart, and fashion-forward! 
  • Brooklyn Decker at a Battleship press event (Theyskens' Theory dress; Isabel Marant jacket and heels): I'm such a sucker for a fabulous jacket. The jacket, paired with the two-toned heels, gives this look a healthy dose of color. This ensemble shows how accessories can really make an outfit. The wavy hair and feminine makeup perfectly ties in the neutral dress.
  • January Jones at the Metropolitan Opera Gala (YSL): Are there any words? That large, key hole back is so stunning (not to mention that it works perfectly with her short do). The high slit makes this dress super sleek. However, her coral lip and glamourous bob bring some femininity to this ensemble. Love! 

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment